Isn’t it a surprise that the majority of digital media is consumed on mobile devices, yet less than 10.8% of media dollars flow towards mobile advertising? With the changing and developing technology and marketing techniques, various brands and retailers must invest in different and unique mobile marketing strategies. Essentially, understanding the behavior, needs and standards of consumers and then trying to communicate with them in the language that they use, at the time that they are most inclined to communicate and engage should be the essential components of Strategy. The campaign objective and goals should then drive the rest of the strategic inputs. However, one needs to stop looking at each device on its own and start understanding that Multi-device behavior is the new trend in current times.
The reports of Q4 2015 State of Mobile Commerce Report from Criteo showed that in the last quarter of 2015 mobile transactions grew by 15% in the year before and made up 30% of all ecommerce transactions. Criteo gives insights into the mobile commerce statistics and online shopping on a quarterly basis and has observed that 4(four) in 10(ten) purchases were done on multiple devices and hence concluding that the diverse consumers are not only purchasing on mobiles or on android phones but a big chunk of them are purchasing on numerous other devices like laptops, tabs etc. The first stage of awareness development may happen on any device and after continuing with the interest, the consumer may hop across devices at different times to finally go for the purchase on the most practical device at that time.
Hence, the mobile marketers need to pay attention to cross-device marketing. Cross-device may seem intimidating to the uninitiated for the reasons explored .So, firstly let us understand as to what the term “cross-device” reveals to us and what it is really about and how it works. Effective cross-device marketing and measurement hinges on the ability to track and target the same consumer as that person moves across multiple devices
Cross-device tracking has the potential to present device-specific consumer behaviors, which can give marketers more and clear insights to work with when devising their cross-device digital marketing strategies. Not only this, it also facilitates more effective sequential messaging, cross-device targeting, and universal ad frequency capping. The growth of mobile Commerce is further increasing the need for more personalized brand experiences from consumers. Digital marketers can no longer look at device use alone to identify and convert consumers into buyers. Nowadays, consumers diversely use multiple devices like laptops, tablets and smartphones etc. in all stages of their shopping journey. The marketers need to understand the consumer needs and behavior and thereby enable effective and deeper engagement through the cross-device journey.
Finally, to succeed, it is absolutely necessary for marketers and brands to understand user profiles across multiple devices, browsers, and apps in order to provide them with a meaningful and relevant experience throughout their shopping journey.
Trootrac Media Pvt. Ltd.
In recent years, mobile marketing has shot up the ranks in the world of digital marketing for its effectiveness. The ease of measurability of results is one of the major reasons for the prevailing importance of mobile. The following are the latest stats for marketers:
1. Almost 900 million population in India use mobile phones, out of which 250 million access internet through mobile as estimated till February, 2016
2. 80% users access internet through smartphones
3. According to eMarketer estimate, over one-third of consumers worldwide or over 2.56 billion people will be using smartphones by 2018
4. Recently, CNET’s study revealed that mobile internet traffic reached 60% whereas that of desktop has declined to 40%.
What It means for Marketers?
Smart businesses have already started to allocate larger budgets to Mobile Marketing. A “Marketing Zone” Report says that 84% of SMBs experienced increases in new customer acquisition through mobile marketing methods. Furthermore, the gradual fall in prices of smartphones is aiding the growth of mobile user-base and hence new opportunities for marketers.
The Changing Trend
It might sound funny but true, Forrester reports that consumers pick/hold in hand their mobile phones 150 to 200 times a day. The mobile imperative is therefore changing the way businesses and marketers have to operate. In the year 2015, businesses focused on app installs and designed their marketing strategy to increase number of installs by incentivizing it. On one hand, the strategy showed positive results by way of large number of installs whereas on the other most of the campaigns saw almost 80% uninstalls happening within 3 days of installation. This survey led many companies to adapt PC + Mobile strategy for the year 2016. On mobile particularly, the combination of WAP and some ‘bot’ solutions are being adopted.
1. Customer-centric: Constant efforts are required for understanding user personas and behavioural traits to target the campaigns for better ROI. The pace of learning about our consumers’/customers’ needs to be supported with a superior understanding of big data, much rather use it to create more meaningful interactions.
2. Content Marketing: The growing focus on engagement has enthused mobile marketing industry too. Various new forms of engagement through mobile are being experimented with. Be it ‘Daily Quotes’, ‘Factoids’, NewsFeeds, Video or bot supported messaging- it is all being rolled out. Freemium, as a commercial model is the accepted norm.
3. Programmatic Buying: This technological advancement is good for advertisers looking at masses and is expected to be a $20 billion industry by the end of 2016. This is expected to grow even larger over the years. The good news is that Advertisers themselves are now taking charge and operate bids and analyse performance from their own panels. It is being noticed that the ease of buying through Programmatic is resulting in lesser role for the agency.
The world’s largest exhibition of mobile industry, #MWC16 , at Barcelona featured almost 250 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem. Trootrac Media Pvt. Ltd. , New Delhi, also participated in the event to explore the coming genius revolution in mobile world. The event brings together:
=> Apps for various verticals like Agriculture
=> Companies offering app development
=> Programmatic Buying- The Next Frontier in Mobile ecosystem
=> Big Data Analytics companies
=> App performance analytics to learn customer persona and improving ROI
=> Performance Marketing Companies
=> Inventions and Innovations around ‘Internet of Things’
=> Mobile Network and Infra development companies
=> Virtual Network Companies, MVNO’s
=> Equipment testing Companies
=> All major Mobile Brands with new models and products
=> OEM suppliers
In the light of above, Trootrac has made some new associations at #MWC16 which shall allow us to bring more customer-engagement and sales growth solutions to our Merchants / Advertisers. With all the new innovations, mobile marketing’s growth is everybody’s guess. However, catch shall lie in the Marketers’ learning curve for fully utilizing the Power of Mobile.
Please feel free to contact the undersigned with your views / comments –
Trootrac Media Pvt. Ltd.