In recent years, mobile marketing has shot up the ranks in the world of digital marketing for its effectiveness. The ease of measurability of results is one of the major reasons for the prevailing importance of mobile. The following are the latest stats for marketers:
1. Almost 900 million population in India use mobile phones, out of which 250 million access internet through mobile as estimated till February, 2016
2. 80% users access internet through smartphones
3. According to eMarketer estimate, over one-third of consumers worldwide or over 2.56 billion people will be using smartphones by 2018
4. Recently, CNET’s study revealed that mobile internet traffic reached 60% whereas that of desktop has declined to 40%.
What It means for Marketers?
Smart businesses have already started to allocate larger budgets to Mobile Marketing. A “Marketing Zone” Report says that 84% of SMBs experienced increases in new customer acquisition through mobile marketing methods. Furthermore, the gradual fall in prices of smartphones is aiding the growth of mobile user-base and hence new opportunities for marketers.
The Changing Trend
It might sound funny but true, Forrester reports that consumers pick/hold in hand their mobile phones 150 to 200 times a day. The mobile imperative is therefore changing the way businesses and marketers have to operate. In the year 2015, businesses focused on app installs and designed their marketing strategy to increase number of installs by incentivizing it. On one hand, the strategy showed positive results by way of large number of installs whereas on the other most of the campaigns saw almost 80% uninstalls happening within 3 days of installation. This survey led many companies to adapt PC + Mobile strategy for the year 2016. On mobile particularly, the combination of WAP and some ‘bot’ solutions are being adopted.
1. Customer-centric: Constant efforts are required for understanding user personas and behavioural traits to target the campaigns for better ROI. The pace of learning about our consumers’/customers’ needs to be supported with a superior understanding of big data, much rather use it to create more meaningful interactions.
2. Content Marketing: The growing focus on engagement has enthused mobile marketing industry too. Various new forms of engagement through mobile are being experimented with. Be it ‘Daily Quotes’, ‘Factoids’, NewsFeeds, Video or bot supported messaging- it is all being rolled out. Freemium, as a commercial model is the accepted norm.
3. Programmatic Buying: This technological advancement is good for advertisers looking at masses and is expected to be a $20 billion industry by the end of 2016. This is expected to grow even larger over the years. The good news is that Advertisers themselves are now taking charge and operate bids and analyse performance from their own panels. It is being noticed that the ease of buying through Programmatic is resulting in lesser role for the agency.
The world’s largest exhibition of mobile industry, #MWC16 , at Barcelona featured almost 250 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem. Trootrac Media Pvt. Ltd. , New Delhi, also participated in the event to explore the coming genius revolution in mobile world. The event brings together:
=> Apps for various verticals like Agriculture
=> Companies offering app development
=> Programmatic Buying- The Next Frontier in Mobile ecosystem
=> Big Data Analytics companies
=> App performance analytics to learn customer persona and improving ROI
=> Performance Marketing Companies
=> Inventions and Innovations around ‘Internet of Things’
=> Mobile Network and Infra development companies
=> Virtual Network Companies, MVNO’s
=> Equipment testing Companies
=> All major Mobile Brands with new models and products
=> OEM suppliers
In the light of above, Trootrac has made some new associations at #MWC16 which shall allow us to bring more customer-engagement and sales growth solutions to our Merchants / Advertisers. With all the new innovations, mobile marketing’s growth is everybody’s guess. However, catch shall lie in the Marketers’ learning curve for fully utilizing the Power of Mobile.
Please feel free to contact the undersigned with your views / comments –
Trootrac Media Pvt. Ltd.